Do you dream of setting up your own company?
Have you set up a business already but need some help on particular issues – such as business planning, marketing or finance?
Not sure where to begin?
The following information will help you find the assistance and advice that you need.
Start Your Own Business in Gosport – free start-up pack and 180 page start your own business guide
Gosport Borough Council has partnered with Start Your Own Business to produce a Gosport edition of its online information, free start-up pack and 180 page guide to starting a business in the UK.
Start Your Own Business in Gosport contains checklists, step-by-step guides and templates plus local information and contacts to help you start and grow your business. You can download both the start-up pack and guide for free via the link above.
Locally available advice and support
1-2-1 business advisor support
Gosport Borough Council works in partnership with Enterprise South (previously known as Enterprise First) to enable the provision of free one-to-one business adviser support in Gosport. Further advice and signposting to other support is also available online, via telephone and in person from the Solent Growth Hub.
Networking, seminars and workshops
GIN @ The Boat House Cafe (Gosport Informal Networking)
This free networking club for pre-starts, start-ups and small businesses is facilitated by Enterprise South and Gosport Borough Council. It meets every two months on a Thursday morning. To find out more and to register please see Eventbrite or Facebook.
Global Entrepreneurship Week (November)
Gosport Borough Council partners with Enterprise South and Basepoint Gosport to deliver a programme of workshops, seminars and events to coincide with Global Entrepreneurship Week each November. For more information please see Enterprising Gosport.
Business start-up training courses
Gosport is one of the locations for Abri Housing’s ‘Create’ self employment support programme that provides free business courses, support, mentoring and training. This will cover the fundamentals of self-employment and what any new entrepreneur should ideally be considering at an early stage. It’s also suitable for those who may have already started up but need more guidance. It covers legalities, financials, marketing and branding, how to create a business model and how self-employment effects benefits. It is available to any Gosport resident i.e. not just Abri Housing tenants.
For more details and to contact Abri Housing about participating please see their website.
Nationally available advice and support
HMRC provides a comprehensive online service for employers and businesses, including:
HMRC also offers advice on tax matters e.g. record keeping, tax returns and what to do when employing staff, with online support and e-learning on business expenses for the self-employed, PAYE, income tax and VAT available.
A Webinar programme and E-Tutorials are also available from HMRC
- Working for yourself
- Supplying services to other European Union (EU) countries
- Exporting goods to non-European Union countries
Other useful links
- The Government has also produced Make Business Your Business – a guide to starting and developing a new business; and the Home Business Guide – a guide to starting and growing a business from home
- Business in You is a partnership between private enterprise and Government to highlight support for start-ups and growing businesses and encourage entrepreneurial spirit
- The Institute of Charted Accountants England and Wales online Business Advice Service includes information on settting up a business
- The Law Society offers a Lawyers for Your Business Service where member law firms will offer a free 30 minute consultation either face-to-face, by telephone or email for anyone starting or growing a business. Use the Find a Solicitor search function to see a list of member firms locally