Do you dream of setting up your own company?
Have you set up a business already but need some help on particular issues – such as business planning, marketing or finance?
Not sure where to begin?
The following information will help you find the assistance and advice that you need.
Locally available advice and support
Gosport Borough Council works in partnership with Enterprise First to enable the provision of free one-to-one business advisor support in Gosport. Enterprise First is also government funded to deliver the Start and Grow programme in Gosport that is aimed at people looking to start a business that will acheive high growth and create employment from an early stage. Further advice and signposting to other support is also available online, via telephone and in person from the Solent Growth Hub.
The Gosport Discovery Centre also regularly stages free ‘Help Make Self-Employment Work for You’ workshops to help those considering starting a business.
Gosport based start-ups can also access financial support including loans and grants. In terms of the latter the Solent Local Enterprise Partnership offers the Solent Growth Fund, plus partners with British Marine to offer the Marine and Maritime grant and X-Forces for the Bridging the Gap – Armed Forces grant.
Nationally available advice and support
The Government’s Great Business website provides information about starting up and running a business in the UK and it also has a business support helpline 0300 456 3565 that is available Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm.
HMRC provides a comprehensive online service for employers and businesses, including:
HMRC also offers advice on tax matters e.g. record keeping, tax returns and what to do when employing staff, with online support and e-learning on business expenses for the self-employed, PAYE, income tax and VAT available.
A Webinar programme and E-Tutorials are also available from HMRC
- Working for yourself
- Supplying services to other European Union (EU) countries
- Exporting goods to non-European Union countries
Other useful links
- The Government has also produced Make Business Your Business – a guide to starting and developing a new business; and the Home Business Guide – a guide to starting and growing a business from home
- Business in You is a partnership between private enterprise and Government to highlight support for start-ups and growing businesses and encourage entrepreneurial spirit
- The Institute of Charted Accountants England and Wales online Business Advice Service includes information on settting up a business
- The Law Society offers a Lawyers for Your Business Service where member law firms will offer a free 30 minute consultation either face-to-face, by telephone or email for anyone starting or growing a business. Use the Find a Solicitor search function to see a list of member firms locally