Do you dream of setting up your own company?
Have you set up a business already but need some help on particular issues – such as business planning, marketing or finance?
Not sure where to begin?
The following information will help you find the assistance and advice that you need.
Start Your Own Business in Gosport – free start-up pack and 180 page start your own business guide
Gosport Borough Council has partnered with Start Your Own Business to produce a Gosport edition of its online information, free start-up pack and 180 page guide to starting a business in the UK.
Start Your Own Business in Gosport contains checklists, step-by-step guides and templates plus local information and contacts to help you start and grow your business. You can download both the start-up pack and guide for free, or order a hard copy of the guide, via the link above.
Locally available advice and support
Gosport Borough Council works in partnership with Enterprise First to enable the provision of free one-to-one business adviser support in Gosport. Further advice and signposting to other support is also available online, via telephone and in person from the Solent Growth Hub.
Enterprise First also facilates Gosport Informal Networking (GIN) @ the Boat House. This free networking club for start-ups and small businesses supported by Gosport Borough Council meets every 8/9 weeks on a Thursday morning. To find out more and to register please see Eventbrite.
The Gosport Discovery Centre also regularly stages free ‘Help Make Self-Employment Work for You’ workshops to help those considering starting a business.
Gosport based start-ups can also access financial support including loans and grants. In terms of the latter the Solent Local Enterprise Partnership offers the Solent Growth Fund: Small Business Programme (£10,000 to £75,000) and Solent Growth Fund: Capital Investment Fund (£80,000 to £500,000). It also partners with British Marine to offer the Marine and Maritime SME Growth Fund (£5,000 to £75,000) and X-Forces for the Bridging the Gap – Armed Forces Fund (£5,000 to £75,000).
Gosport Borough Council has partnered with Enterprise First and Basepoint Gosport to deliver a programme of workshops, seminars and events to coincide with Global Entrepreneurship Week each November. The activity includes the Gosport Enterprise Fair that is hosted by Caroline Dinenage MP and the Solent Local Enterprise Partnership. For more information please see Enterprising Gosport.
Nationally available advice and support
The Government’s Great Business website provides information about starting up and running a business in the UK and it also has a business support helpline 0300 456 3565 that is available Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm.
HMRC provides a comprehensive online service for employers and businesses, including:
HMRC also offers advice on tax matters e.g. record keeping, tax returns and what to do when employing staff, with online support and e-learning on business expenses for the self-employed, PAYE, income tax and VAT available.
A Webinar programme and E-Tutorials are also available from HMRC
- Working for yourself
- Supplying services to other European Union (EU) countries
- Exporting goods to non-European Union countries
Other useful links
- The Government has also produced Make Business Your Business – a guide to starting and developing a new business; and the Home Business Guide – a guide to starting and growing a business from home
- Business in You is a partnership between private enterprise and Government to highlight support for start-ups and growing businesses and encourage entrepreneurial spirit
- The Institute of Charted Accountants England and Wales online Business Advice Service includes information on settting up a business
- The Law Society offers a Lawyers for Your Business Service where member law firms will offer a free 30 minute consultation either face-to-face, by telephone or email for anyone starting or growing a business. Use the Find a Solicitor search function to see a list of member firms locally