The Solent Enterprise Zone at Daedalus
- 200 ha (494.2 acres) overall site including the airfield (Solent Airport)
- 82 ha (202.6 acres) Enterprise Zone area
- 23 ha (56.8 acres) The Daedalus Waterfront site, including
- Daedalus Park B1/B2/B8 scheme
- phase 1 is complete and fully occupied
- phase 2 (Site B North and South) currently being brought forward for development with construction due to start in 2018
- Waterfront East and West residential scheme
- 200 units of 1,2,3 and 4 bedroom homes
- Wates are Homes England’s Accelerated Construction Delivery Company partner
- planning application submitted with construction due to start in 2018 and will be completed within 2 years
- Daedalus Park B1/B2/B8 scheme
The Solent Enterprise Zone (SEZ) at Daedalus is one of 46 set up nationally to support local economic growth. Its focus is on advanced engineering and manufacturing and in particular the marine, aerospace and aviation sectors. This builds on the existing strengths of the local economy and its skills base plus the SEZ’s operational airfield and marine slipway offers.
Established in 2012 the SEZ is being developed in partnership by Fareham Borough Council, Gosport Borough Council, Hampshire County Council, Homes England and the Solent Local Enterprise Partnership (SLEP). The SEZ is within the planning authority areas of Fareham and Gosport and the councils have agreed a whole-site plan to ensure the comprehensive development of the site.
As an Enterprise Zone significant public sector capital investment is being made in on and off site infrastructure to help attract additional private sector investment and occupiers. The aim is to create up to 3,700 additional jobs by 2026.
The Daedalus Waterfront site overlooks the Solent and the Isle of Wight and sits wholly within the Gosport planning authority area. Part of the site is already being redeveloped by Tidebank, with the first phase of its Daedalus Park scheme fully occupied and its final phase being brought forward for development. A planning application has also been submitted by Wates for a 200 unit housing scheme that is scheduled to be completed in 2020.
The SEZ is based on a former naval airfield to the west of Portsmouth Harbour at Lee-on-the-Solent. Fareham and Gosport are within 10 minutes drive and Portsmouth is within 30 minutes of the site. The nearest junctions of the M27 are 9 and 11. The off site capital investment has included upgrades to the local road network that links the site to the M27 and a new link will be created by the proposed Stubbington By-pass.
With an operational airfield its Solent Airport provides additional business and leisure travel connectivity to/from mainland Europe, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. Southampton International Airport is 11 miles away and provides further air links.
Proposals for the Daedalus Waterfront site should be for an employment-led regeneration scheme with a mix of uses as follows:
- 75,000 sqm (gross) employment floorspace (B1, B2 and B8)
- a range of leisure and recreational facilities to enhance the visitor attractions at Lee-on-the-Solent
- food and drink premises
- community facilities to meet local requirements and make the best use of available buildings
- up to 350 dwellings
The SEZ falls within the local authority areas of Fareham and Gosport and two outline planning applications for the proposed redevelopment of most of the site were approved by the councils in March 2012. The proposals in total give outline consent for over 1 million sqft (92,903 sqm) of commercial development as well as homes and community facilities.
A Daedalus Supplementary Planning Document was adopted in September 2011 that set out Gosport Borough Council’s vision, development strategy and an outline of key development considerations for the Daedalus Waterfront site.
An outline planning application (Ref. No: 11/00282/OUT) was approved in March 2012 for the provision of almost 70,000 sqm (753,474 sqft) of employment floorspace, hotel, leisure and other commercial uses and 200 dwellings. A detailed planning application (Ref. No: 17/00592/DETS) was submitted by Wates in December 2017 for the 200 residential units element.
It is identified in the adopted Gosport Borough Local Plan 2011-2029 as the Daedalus Regeneration Area (Policy LP5) and development proposals should be for an employment-led regeneration scheme with a mix of uses (employment floorspace, leisure and recreational facilities, food and drink premises, community facilities and residential.
- Daedalus Park Site B (South) totalling 2,751 sqm (Ref. No: 16/00001/FULL approved March 2016)
- subsequent application Ref. No: 17/00100/Full submitted March 2017
- Daedalus Park Site B (North) totalling 3,256 sqm (Ref. No: 16/00002/FULL approved March 2016)
- subsequent application Ref. No: 17/00101/Full submitted March 2017
- Daedalus Park totalling 8,947 sqm (Ref. No: 15/00247/FULL approved October 2015)
The Dunning Building totalling 4,660 sqm is being refurbished for continued manufacturing use for MonsterCAM/Marine Concepts (Ref. No: 15/00672/FULL approved February 2016).
Daedalus Waterfront: Homes England
Daedalus Park: Tidebank